Friday, April 1, 2011

A note about the blog name...

When I named the blog One Bite at a Time, Dave wondered if I was going to become a food blogger.  Nope, although you will see the occasional recipe.  No, this is my life philosophy.  Comes from my mom.

When I was working on my Ph.D., it hit me one day how MUCH there is to do (I think I was in my second year).  I was really freaking out about the prospective of writing a proposal, writing papers, taking oral and written comps, writing a dissertation, giving seminars.  You get the picture.  When I talked to my mom that night she said, "How do you eat an elephant?  You just take it one bite at a time."  And that attitude has served me well for the past 6 or so years.  Don't get me wrong, I still freak out.  Like my whole first semester as a new faculty member.  I was sure that any day the department chair was going to come in my office and explain that I wasn't really supposed to be here - that they really meant to hire someone else. I planned experiments where I could do the whole thing myself, because I wasn't sure anyone would want to work for me.  And then I'd remind myself that I was here.  Take it one bite at a time.  I will probably have mini-freak-outs until I get tenure, but this philosophy really has helped.  Thanks, Mom. :)

Time to sip my light hard lemonade, smell my Sun and Sand candle, and imagine myself in Florida for a little while.  Happy Friday (and April Fools' Day - my prank was fabulous)

No comments:

Post a Comment