Thursday, March 31, 2011

TIRED

Wow - it's been a L-O-N-G day.  A very long day in front of the computer.  One of my grad students is giving a poster next weekend.  We need to have it to the person printing it tomorrow.  It still needs to be run by a collaborator.  Like the kid who is doing her homework at the very last minute, we were at school working on this thing FOREVER.  Well, about 6 solid hours today on it, anyway, on top of other stuff.  Which is a long time to futz with a poster.  Anyway...

The blood draw was successful this time and went MUCH better!  Ian barely cried and he got his first taste of candy.  The registration person at the desk in the hospital remembered us and when I told her why we were back, she gave me a roll of Smarties for Ian.  Before we were called back, he had some oyster crackers and his sippy with water.  Here he is, looking like he's contemplating his fate (he knew exactly where we were):

No after picture, but suffice it to say, he and I were both very happy it was over and went smoothly.

For dinner, I tried making a greek quinoa salad, of sorts.  AND IAN GOBBLED IT UP!! I wasn't even that crazy about it, but I was so excited that he scarfed down something I made.  Ok, yeah, it involved cut-up chicken tenders, but you know, baby steps.

Recipe (for 2 plus a baby):
2/3 cup quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
frozen or fresh veggies - I used some partial bags of broccoli and peas that I had in the freezer
chicken tenders, baked and diced
feta cheese
greek salad dressing (I used Kraft)

Put quinoa and water in a pot.  Bring to a boil, back off to a simmer.  Cover for about 10 minutes, until all water is absorbed.  While this is going, bake the chicken (or meat of choice, or if you're not adding meat, ignore).  Cook veggies.  When everything is done, divide between bowls, top with feta, and add dressing to taste.  Stir.  Watch in amazement as child actually eats it.

If you look closely, you can see the quinoa trail down his hand, up his arm, into his sleeves (forgot to roll them up) and up his nose.  There were also quinoa granules on the highchair, on the floor, and on his pants.  But did I mention that he LOVED dinner????  The dogs helped with clean-up.  Oh yeah, his shirt does have skulls on it - and it says "Rockstar".  No, I haven't started shopping at a metal store - it's from Children's Place.  Maybe the skulls were why it was on sale?

After dinner, I went back to work, got home at 9:15.  And now I'm going to shoot up and go to bed.  I might have to listen to "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" one more time - it's been stuck in my head all day.  Better yet - I'll blare it in my office tomorrow.  It will keep the students out. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love thie pic, he looks like he really likes dinner. I also love the skulls on the shirt, my boys sport them, too.

    ReplyDelete