Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What a (half) week!

Geez, I can't believe it's only Wednesday.  I think we should fast-forward to Friday.  Mentally, I think I was there Monday.  To recap the week so far...

Kevin's talk was every bit as amazing as I thought it would be.  Actually, it was probably amazinger.  I understood it.  So did everyone else.  And for someone like me to understand DNA methylation, you know he was using small words and short sentences.  Molecular biologist, I'm not.  He got to meet quite a few of my colleagues and a lot of the grad students too.  I love where I work, so it was really cool to show off our awesome university and my even awesomer students and colleagues.  I took him to KC to his hotel afterwards and got home at 10:30, absolutely exhausted. That is a long, boring drive.

So Tuesday I had 6.5 billion tests to grade.  Ok, really it was more like 49, but it felt like 6.5 billion.  Some of my students did really well and some of them had a bad case of VD - verbal diarrhea.  You know, when you start writing and you can't stop?  When you throw every word you've ever heard the prof mention in a lecture in your answer, hoping to God that the heart has something to do with the digestive system, or maybe that was respiration.  Oh well, we'll just discuss it all together and maybe she'll give me partial credit.  Yeah, I totally admit to doing that in my college days (particularly in physics - I had ED - equation diarrhea - I was sure that somehow E=MC^2 had something to do with any possible answer).  As a prof, I hate VD.  The most awesome answer, though, that I've ever gotten in many years of teaching was when I asked whether a particular heart rhythm was good or bad.  The answer? "Yes, it's probably bad because it was on your powerpoint about abnormal heart rhythms."  Can I just say how awesome that is??

I hung a decorative sign on my door Tuesday that was very effective.  So effective, in fact, that a colleague joked later in the day that I'd taken my sign down so he thought it was safe to come in.


Today was good, just busy.  Wednesdays are usually big meeting days.  Tomorrow should be pretty nice.  Hope you're having a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment