Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I'm not dead, just lazy...

Lest you'd given up hope that I'd ever update my blog (more likely you never noticed that I quit updating), worry no more.  No promises, but I will try to update a little more regularly.  This may be a multi-parter, since I haven't blogged since, oh, June.  Or July.  Awhile.  Anyway...

On the Dave front, Hill's is going well!  Really well.  Which is soooo awesome.  Last time this year, we were searching Chronicle of Higher Ed and I was getting teary-eyed during faculty meetings thinking about leaving ESU.  Much better situation this year.    He got his official uniform, too.  He brought home one to show me and I immediately coined his uniform shirt a "stripper shirt" because it has snaps (no buttons in a plant - they could fall off).  It's a nice uniform, though.  The best thing is, he's enjoying it.  And that is awesome.

Ian is a very adorable bundle of toddler energy.  At his 18 month checkup, he was 33" tall and 23lbs.  We're thinking that he's grown since then, because all those cute little jeans I got him in September are starting to look like high-waters.  Time to move to 24mo jeans.  I can't believe he's going to be 2 in February!  His vocabulary is expanding by the second, he loves movies and books.  His favorite things involve Cars or Thomas the Train.  He's pretty good at telling us what he wants, which is great, unless you don't want him to have it.  He's persistent, to say the least.  But overall, I think we won the lottery.

Confession time - I started this post in OCTOBER!! It's December 20th, just for the record.  It's been a little bit crazy this semester.  The A&P course got a pretty big revamp with a night session on Mondays, more tests (which means more grading for me), and overall just a great class of people who ASK QUESTIONS!  I always love my fall classes because it's made up of mostly nursing students.  I always feel like I connect with them.  We had a great semester.  On the research front, my first grad student defended successfully and is now in Indiana working for a toxicology laboratory.  Two more grad students should be writing this semester and leaving - one hopefully for a Ph.D. program at Alabama, and one hopefully for a teaching job.  My undergrads are fantastic and two will be staying with me for Master's degrees (yay!).  And my newest grad student will start her research this summer.  Doing something neither of us really knows how to do.  Hey, the blind leading the blind got me a Ph.D., so I'm not going to worry too much.  On the whole, A&P and other responsibilities (LA&S Dean Search committee, learning the SAC office) kept me from being as active in the lab as I want to be.  Thank God for amazing students!  I've told them I wouldn't abandon them this semester.

So that's it for now.  I will update you all on Bob, the new love of my life, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment