Monday, August 31, 2015

Happy Stuff

So, project Stress Less is back on track.  After Tuesday's pity party, I did get released from my Tuesday class so that I had more time to focus on next semester's new courses and the MSFS program in general.  I felt so relieved, like a huge weight was lifted.  Tomorrow that will be implemented, and I have big plans.  A big to-do list to tackle, and my first crime scene to plan.  But more importantly, 7.5 glorious hours to work with few interruptions.  Woot! I will get my Mamas and Papas station going on Pandora (guaranteed student repellent) and jam out with my incense lit.

I have found an awesome website - Elephant Journal. This site is a hippie, thought-provoking, uplifting site.  It is reader generated - anyone can submit to it.  It has a wide variety of articles on everything from food (I have to admit, I haven't been tempted by a recipe yet, but there are interesting perspectives on food), spirituality, yoga, wellness, etc. There's even a "funny" category that has some pretty hilarious articles. The site lets you read 3 articles for free, then it asks you to subscribe, which I did.  It's $13 a year.  I liked it so much I bought my sister-in-law a subscription for her birthday.  I've done a pretty good job in the last few weeks about not getting sucked into all the negative social media - this site is my antidote.  I see lots of different (admittedly, many of them liberal) perspectives on a lot of different things. Anyway, it's like mind sweet potatoes - good and good for you.

I can't wait to go camping.  Admittedly, I am nervous about the weather.  It's supposed to get up to 90, which means I might need to either spend a lot of time floating in the lake or in the car with the a/c turned on.  But the night temps look good and I can't wait.  This is also the first time we've been camping for longer than overnight.  I told Ian we needed to think about supplies and his immediate answer was "chocolate, and marshmallows, and graham crackers!" I like the way this kid thinks! It's hot this week, but I think fall weather is just around the corner. I know I'll get sick of my cool weather clothes, but right now I can't wait for sweaters, scarves, pumpkins, Halloween, and a nip in the air.

Yesterday, I got to meet some new friends.  A young lady who was just diagnosed with T1D and her mother.  It was great to meet them and I tried to give them good advice. I told them about calling the mailbox Shelby after lasering, because, let's face it, that story never gets old. I hope it was a positive experience for them.  I'm sure that right now everything is all new and I can't imagine how confusing. It's funny, I did a lot of thinking and reflecting in preparation for our meeting - what would I want to know 31 years ago? Technology has changed SO MUCH for the better.  But you know what? I spent some time thinking about whether I wish I'd never gotten diabetes or whether I'd ever spent a lot of time asking God why me.  I don't think I've ever spent any significant amount of time doing that.  I told them that having diabetes has not been the focus of my whole life (nor should it be - there's so much more to do out there than obsess over a disease), but I feel like it's part of what's made me who I am. I appreciate life.  So much.  I appreciate having my son.  I appreciate my kidneys, and my sight, and things that I don't think I would appreciate as much otherwise. I don't remember what it was like to not have this. I have AMAZING parents who let me have a very normal childhood (and special time with mom when I had a doc appointment). I have learned how to be an advocate for myself in ways I doubt I would have done without this disease. There were times in my life when I tried really hard to forget it.  But now that I'm an adult, I appreciate it. Anyway, I hope that their journey is smooth and we develop a strong friendship.  They are really neat people.

This blog post isn't horribly cohesive tonight.  I had a lot of thoughts rolling around in my head that I wanted to share. Hopefully everyone who reads has their own list of "happy stuff." If you're a bleeding heart liberal who is a wanna-be hippie, try Elephant Journal. Or light some incense and get a 60's station going on Pandora.  Either way, peace, man. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment