Monday, August 26, 2013

Brain Dump

I couldn't really think of a good theme for this post, so I thought I'd just give you a brain dump - all the stuff that's been floating around my head lately.  Here goes...

1) The attitude shift is working!  Last year, I distinctly remember starting the semester by asking how long it would be until Christmas.  I was so burnt out.  I wasn't excited about anything, and I was tired before it started.  This semester, I have the same load I usually carry in the fall, but I have tox (new), over 80 people in A&P (new at ESU), I go up for tenure (where have the last 5 years gone?), and I have the data for 4 papers, 2 that just need a little more work, 1 started, and 1 that hasn't started.  That's a new problem to have too.  But a good one.  I give all the credit to my fabulous students.  Without them, I would literally be not sitting on so much data.  But, I'm excited!  I know it's going to be a tiring semester, but so far so good.  Yes, I realize that it's one week in.  But really, I'm better than I was last year in terms of attitude.

2) My ribs feel good enough to start back with yoga!  I'm so excited about this.  I joined myyogaonline.com and it's fabulous.  You can watch any video you want and filter by style, teacher, level, etc.  Tonight, I did a "de-stress" class.  Except then I realized that the instructor wanted me to do a half-backbend.  My spine doesn't move like that, so I just watched her, which was less stressful than trying the move.

3) Big Mac died.  RIP, Big Mac.  You were a wonderful computer.  We'll have to think carefully about your replacement.  It was a great 8 years.

4) Water volleyball is really fun.  It's also darn good exercise if you have a 32lb 3-year-old that wants to play too and makes you lift him over your head so he can throw the volleyball over the net.

5) I made ficken (fake chicken) salad today for lunch and it was delicious my grad students liked it!  I used mashed chickpeas.  Who knew you could eat those things in more than hummus?

Ok, enough brain dump.  I'll be back with more rambling later in the week.  You stay classy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment