Friday, June 24, 2011

Life comes at you fast...

For those who thought that I'd never update my blog, I apologize.  We got back from NY and life slapped me in the face and has had me going ever since.  This is not to say that bad things have happened - on the contrary, something pretty wonderful has happened, but by the time I get home, focus on Ian for a few hours, and get him to bed, I am brain dead.

To pick up where I left off, our return trip to KS pretty much sucked.  It started at a wake-up call at 5am from the airline telling me that our flight was canceled.  We were rebooked, but it involved a 3 hour layover in Charlotte, an airport that was WAY too busy to let Ian crawl around and burn some energy.  A layover that was also during his nap time, so no nap happened.  He also didn't sleep on the last flight.  We were in a tin can of a plane, too.  Thank goodness there were understanding people and an understanding flight attendant that looked the other way when I spent 30 minutes of the flight swaying with him in the aisle.  Anyway, enough whining.  I'll also post pics soon.  Or sometime.  Ok, before Ian's a teenager.

Anyhow, 1st class of the summer done, 2nd one started immediately after.  It's pretty cool.  It's pretty tiring.  It's histology.  Nobody has taught histology at ESU in about 6 years, and I've never taught it, so thank God my students are patient.  I have a great class and I feel so spoiled - teaching 11 people as opposed to 75 feels luxurious.  They're a good bunch.  Between teaching and preparing for the meeting I'm headed to now, my days have been kicking my butt.  Hence the no blogging.  This week, though, I should be able to blog more.

And now, for the wonderful news - Dave is starting Monday as a chemist for Hill's!!! They make Science Diet pet food and are part of Colgate-Palmolive.  I can't wait to see how cheap we can get their products - I'm probably going to turn into one of those people from Extreme Couponing. "I've got 611 bags of dog food - our dogs died 3 years ago but I still get it because I can get it cheap!"  Ian's bed will have stacks of toothpaste under it.  You know, a girl has to have goals.  The biggest thing is that this job is permanent.  Not temporary.  For the last 3 years, we've wondered every year whether Dave's contract would be renewed.  This past year, a lot of things happened in his department, and it was 10 months of pure hell.  One week he was told that the university considered him permanent, the next week he was told he might be cut to part time.  One month he definitely had a job, the next maybe not.  I don't deal well with uncertainty.  At all.  So to say that this is wonderful news is a total understatement.  We love Emporia, and we love ESU too (I absolutely LOVE where I work - I couldn't imagine a better place), we've made great friends, and now we don't have to leave.  So happy.

The other, extremely recent development doesn't involve us.  My SIL, Lindsay, just found out that she will be an assistant prof at Auburn University in Auburn, AL this fall.  We are so happy and excited for them, because Lindsay has been through hell with her job too, just for different reasons.  I'm very sad to see them move, because it's been wonderful getting to see them so often, but so happy for them.  And it's a lot closer to my parents and Dave's parents, so at least we'll probably get to see them whenever we go down to see either family, which isn't bad.  Ian adores his Uncle Cha Cha and Aunt Lindsay, so that's a good thing all around.

So today I am patiently waiting on my flight to Denver.  We were going to leave in 20 minutes, but now it will be an hour and 20.  I still should be able to make my connecting to San Diego though.  The gate agent told me we're only landing 30 gates away from where I leave in Denver.  No prob.  I will totally push old ladies out of the way, knock over small babies,  and punch out anyone in my way to make that connecting flight.  So far, the trip is downright boring.  No Ian to entertain, no ukelele players, no hoochies in 5 inch stilettos.  And I have time to blog and recharge my electronics, thanks to workstations and free WiFi in the airport.  Come to think of it, this is pretty darn nice.  Don't get me wrong, I will miss Dave and the squirt to death.  I'm so thankful Linds was able to come stay with them so she could take Ian to daycare in the morning (Dave has to be at work between 6:45 and 7am).  Hopefully I will get at least 1 texted pic of Ian a day.  No Skyping - last year we skyped and he cried for 2 hours afterward.  It should be a really good meeting though.  More updates from sunny California when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment