Sunday, September 20, 2015

One week in a capsule

This post is about the capsule wardrobe concept.  I figured one week in, I'd review it and tell you what I've learned so far, and what I've liked and not liked.

The concept: You get 37 items in your capsule for 3 months, including shoes and accessories. You don't have to count underwear, workout wear, or stuff you don't leave the house in.

My version - I have around 39 pieces. It's a big transition time here in Kansas and we've had temperature spans of 40 degrees in the past week, which really sucks for trying to narrow down your options. I counted 3 sweaters in there, but in the next 3 months, I will probably have to hit my sweater stash hard.  At that point, I'll put away my lighter clothes. Also, I didn't count tank tops or leggings, since I wear those under other things. And I did limit my shoes, but not my jewelry or scarves. In the strictest versions, 33 or 37 or whatever is it, including jewelry.

On cleaning out your closet: You are supposed to take out every piece of clothing and every pair of shoes out, lay it out, and sort it into donate/sell, maybe/off-season, and capsule piles.

My version: I actually did this. I have 2 large trash bags bound for Goodwill. It was actually easy, once I faced up to my packrat tendencies.  One thing that drew me to this concept was the reality check that was supposed to come with it.  You aren't going to wear that "someday." You bought the blouse a year ago, and you hate it, get rid of it. Someone else will love it.  Stop hanging on to the shirt/jeans/shorts that haven't fit in forever. It was kinda cathartic, actually. I also liked that there was a maybe pile. I don't want to get rid of everything! I have 2 maybe piles - a summer/spring and a winter.  We have seasons here, what can I say.

Things I've learned so far: I have a crap-ton of black clothing. I made fun of New Yorkers all the time when I lived there, but apparently now I dress like a native. So, right now, my options are limited.  With the weather in the high 80's last week and only about 1/3 of my 39 pieces suitable for hot weather, I felt very limited. And I'm feeling like I wear the same things over and over. But this week I'm headed to MI with highs in the 60's, so I am excited to really bust out some more interesting stuff.

What it's done for me so far: It hasn't magically made me more stylish.  I haven't woken up and exclaimed that I have found a whole new way to pair that shirt with those pants. It has made me realize that I have a ton of black and that I take the concept of basic tops to a whole new level. So, that's useful - the next time I go shopping, I'm going to look outside my comfort zone! Add a little color to my shirts.  Maybe try a pattern - who knows? I'll be a wild woman. I do think packing for the MI trip will take me 10 minutes.  It's also really made me think about shopping and what I'd buy if I did go in a much more conscientious way.

Overall: I think right now there are more plusses than minuses, but I have to say, I"m ready for the weather to cool off so I can bust out the fall shoes, the sweaters, the scarves. I'll check in when the weather changes and let you know. :) In the meantime, I will wear my black t-shirts, my black dresses, my black tanks, and embrace my inner Morticia.

No comments:

Post a Comment