Friday, January 13, 2012

Well hello, spring semester...

So, when last I posted, Ian and I were in the middle of a visit to FL.  We're back (no real news on the return - the rest of the visit was great, he did great on the plane).  I do have to say, fly Airtran and pay the $49 to upgrade to business!  Huge seats, 2 free checked bags, and great service.  We double-scored because business wasn't full so we were able to get 2 seats and Ian had his own.  Yay!

The week has been good.  The most exciting thing that happened is that Ian broke his wrist.  It's not terrible - in fact the only time he notices it is when we have to garbage-bag his splint for a bath.  Until he figures out that he can splash even more water with it than he can with his free hand.  And then it's all good.  He gets a cast (mostly because he's a toddler, not because it's unstable) next Wednesday and I will post a pic.  My students want to sign his cast, so I'm sure that will be fun.  His x-rays are awesome, and I have to sheepishly admit that when they were showing them to me my third thought (after "it's not a complete break" and "oh good, it's not near the growth plate") was "wow, those are amazing!  Look at the clarity!  I must have a copy for A&P!"  Ok, so I'm a mommy, but I'm still a professor.  Anyway, our little daredevil should be fully functional in about 3 weeks, and it isn't bothering him in the meantime.  At least he isn't an overachiever like me - when I was 3 or 4 I broke my arm and it had to be pinned and I damaged the growth plate.  For him, no surgery, just garbage bags taped to his arm when he takes a bath.

So, I had a fabulous, much-needed break, but I came back to face the fact that I'm giving my FIRST EVER conference talk on Saturday.  In front of probably 100-200 people.  Did I mention that all the other invited speakers are from med schools and some are endowed chairs of something-or-other?  The first time I saw the speaker bios, I wanted to throw up a little.  But I've done my homework and I think my talk is sciency AND entertaining.  Something I strive for.  I hate boring talks.  My student Brittany, assures me that my talk, peppered with phrases like "that's a hot mess" and "well, crap" isn't boring.  I'll update after the talk.  It's also mine and Dave's 12th anniversary (can you believe it!) Sunday, and we have reservations at the Melting Pot on Saturday.  Needless to say, I'm more excited about the vat of cheese calling my name and the champagne than I am about my talk. 

A&P should be good this semester.  No good feel for the personalities in my class, but they laughed at my cheesy jokes Wednesday, so that gives me hope for the future.  Today is lecture number two.

Anyway, for now I'm in the SAC office (I'll be sure to compile my best bits of wisdom that I dole out this semester), counting down the hours until 12:00.  At least it gave me the opportunity to blog, since I didn't bring any real work over here with me, thinking that I'd be busy offering nuggets of life-changing wisdom.  Or something. :)  Happy Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment